Herstory: Colours Of Life

Memories or thoughts shared....

It's common for people to describe me nicely as, "not like anyone else I know".... I have come to happily agree to being a 'freak', hard to describe, or just different.... Imperfection, I see it as something beautiful and honest.... I love what I have become, and have faith in how I will be....

You choose the colours of your life.... Dream. Explore. Discover.

Tuesday, February 07, 2006

2 Gruelling Days

On Saturday I participated in a race that took about 7 hours (plus another hour for introduction, lunch, presentation, etc). I was absolutely knackered at the end of it!! The next day I was in pain from the waist down, with my upper body not feeling much better. Walking across the room took a lot of effort. I rested the whole day dreading Monday….

Instead of another Monday in the office, I was invited to go rockclimbing and abseiling at Werribee Gorge. I was going to be paid to do it all day! Awesome! Plus I really liked what I’ve seen of Werribee Gorge. Some time ago my friends and I did the 5-hour circuit walk there.

However, I dreaded the activity because the info sheet given to us said we had to do “a steep, hard thirty minute walk along the Iron Bark Gorge Track to the cliff”. I remember how steep some areas could get! With my daypack carrying food (lunch and snack), drinks (2 litres), rain gear (light rain expected, and it came), warm clothing, and equipment – and my stiff legs and muscle pain, I felt I would really struggle to just make it to the site. I could barely keep myself standing up past 5 minutes!!

But I really wanted to go! I’ve never rockclimb outdoors before and I didn’t want to waste the opportunity. The fun factor was too high! I thought, at the least, I could abseil once and enjoy the scenery.

Come Monday, I took a deep breath, grit my teeth and hoped for the best. I headed off to Werribee Gorge. Where I had the best time!! I rockclimbed and abseiled the whole time we were at Falcon’s Lookout. I couldn’t get enough of it! I fared well rockclimbing, even with my weak legs. Only one cliff remained unconquered coz I couldn’t “bridge”, my legs and arms were shaking from exhaustion. Going back up the cliff several times to abseil again was torture, but I was grinning all the way.

Pack-up time I was hiding behind the big guys so I wouldn’t be handed ropes to carry back up to the car. I was running on reserves for ages already, there was still “a steep, hard thirty minute walk” from the cliff to the car to do. I ended up carrying karabiners that I attached to my daypack.

My legs were lead walking back. I concentrated on staring at my workmate’s calves and followed him all the way. My friend told me yesterday she was worried cause she knew I was still recuperating from my sickness and the race. I was breathing loud so she sensed the effort I was putting in. I may have overdone being active outdoors again. I have a habit of doing that. It’s worthy of its own blog….

Anyway, once we were next to the cars, I was beaming a huge smile again. I did it!! I did it!!! All the strenuous activity were done! And I felt great!! Well, I was sweaty, dirty and all that… but I could actually say my fitness IS better. It was hard for me to gauge if there was any improvement until then. The 2 gruelling days proved it! I was fitter!

Its Wednesday now, there’s only a slight discomfort on my shins but other than that, I feel fine! It took less than 2 days for my muscles to recuperate… I feel a little self-pride for this achievement. I am giving myself a pat on my own back…. Very good.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home