Herstory: Colours Of Life

Memories or thoughts shared....

It's common for people to describe me nicely as, "not like anyone else I know".... I have come to happily agree to being a 'freak', hard to describe, or just different.... Imperfection, I see it as something beautiful and honest.... I love what I have become, and have faith in how I will be....

You choose the colours of your life.... Dream. Explore. Discover.

Saturday, September 16, 2006

Undressed


I don't do new year's resolutions... but I always have little goals I like to reach for, to make life less mundane. This year it was the following:

  • Go scubadiving - DONE!
  • Take surfing lessons - too cold now, have to wait until around December. - CAN'T WAIT!
  • Improve fitness (use treadmill/orbitor, 40mins FAST nonstop, min speed 7) - DONE!
  • Improve wardrobe (get a stylist, buy new clothes, throw out old clothes) - ALMOST!
  • Improve posture (SIT/STAND/WALK straight; do core-conditioning exercises) - DOING!

The ones crossed out have now been incorporated into my lifestyle. I think I’m doing quite well, about six months into it. The thing about doing life changing actions like this though, albeit small, was that it really highlighted things about myself I wasn’t aware of before.

Let's talk wardrobe. After I threw out (most given to charities) A LOT!!! of clothes (5 black garbage bags full), I was left with A LOT still!!! Below is my embarrassing list, but I still decided to share the details:

  • 130 pairs of socks (all less than 2 years old)
  • 10 bathers (only 2 more than 2 years old)
  • 125 underclothings (all less than 2 years old)
  • 14 jeans (I threw out more than 30)
  • 50 to 100 pairs of footwear (half still in the garage)
  • more than 50 bags
  • 200 tops
  • 40 dresses (including ball gowns)
  • 40 belts
  • 50 scarves
  • 15 hats
  • 80 bottoms (skirts/pants/shorts)
  • 10 business suits
  • 20 outer jackets
  • 50 jumpers/hoodies/cardigans
  • 90 sleep ensembles/sleepwear/homewear


!!!!!!!!!!!!! I couldn’t believe it!!!!!!!! Sooh many clothes!!! And bags!! And belts!!? And scarves!!?? I don’t even follow fashion! It doesn't even include all my jewelleries and other "girly" stuff!! I was dumbstruck by the realisation of it!!

I was truly culling my wardrobe!! More than half of the clothes I threw out were still new-looking or were worn favourites but I forced myself to let them go.

I’m chuckling and shaking my head here… but who needs 130 pairs of socks!!!??? 130!!!! Hahahah! I threw out less than 5, as they were all in varying degrees of newness. I went crazy in buying socks and underwear each time I went to inexpensive Asia, coz I always change my underclothing around every 2 years. So now I have many inner clothing “in stock”.

My reasoning behind culling was so I could buy more “plain and classic” clothes, so I can show my inner “model” (ahem), look more “ladylike”, and have newer clothes. I don't shop for clothes much, maybe buy only one item every 3 months, or 3 items every 8 months... you get the gist.

Activewear (for all seasons and terrains – bring it on, yeah!!) (ahem) and Eclecticwear (ahem again… eheheh.. ehhh…) have taken over my style. I also had a lot of work uniforms, where I perform(ed) many VERY diverse functions, hence the number of equipment and gear I had to keep handy for those roles.

If it were safe to walk barefoot outside my home, I would throw out most of my shoes and slippers!! I like my feet free so much that I used to wear shoes at least one size too big in school (very geekily embarrassing thinking about it now). I'm not much different now, still preferring my feet in loose footwear or slip-ons/slippers.

But now that I know how much clothing and footwear I have, I don’t feel like buying more!!!! Shouldn’t I wear out the ones I have first!???! Seriously! I can’t possibly need more??????!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home