Herstory: Colours Of Life

Memories or thoughts shared....

It's common for people to describe me nicely as, "not like anyone else I know".... I have come to happily agree to being a 'freak', hard to describe, or just different.... Imperfection, I see it as something beautiful and honest.... I love what I have become, and have faith in how I will be....

You choose the colours of your life.... Dream. Explore. Discover.

Thursday, January 25, 2007

In Search of McNaught

A colleague arrived at work today visibly awestruck, mentioning a comet he 'accidentally' saw in the sky last night. My ears obviously perked up, I thought, "What's going on??! What??? What did I miss?? What Comet!!!??" .

Comet McNaught it is called. People started sharing the info that it has been in the papers for weeks now; how it's bigger and brighter than Haley's comet; how it has been visible since last week. And people where mentioning it nonchalantly... NONCHALANTLY!!! I wish I knew about it last week! The one week I decided to not pay attention to the sky at night! The week I decided to always be home before dark!!

A colleague told me exactly where to look for it tonight, based on where I live, at around 9.30pm. So tonight I set my alarm at 9.30pm, having had only 2 hours sleep last night and working very early this morning. I was anxiously hoping... wishing that I would see this comet... wishing once again I knew someone who could show me the wonders of the sky.

I don't even remember my head hitting the pillows... zzzzz... next thing I heard was my alarm. I pulled myself off the bed quickly, stepped out of home, and stargazed... not really knowing where to look, trying to orientate myself.

I couldn' t see it... :-(... I saw a hint of it, something vaguely wispy, about 3 handspans to the left of the moon. I think it was it.... The sky was beautifully clear, but I wasnt seeing anything "awestrucking". I was so disappointed I felt myself choking back sadness, desperately trying to see it.

I trudged back indoors several minutes later, straight to the one thing I knew may be able to help me see it - the computer connected to the web - and the picture's were beautiful!!!! I woke up too late!! I should have been looking for it at sunset 8.30ish tonight!!!














What a stunning once in a lifetime sight to behold!!! I have to see it!! I want to see it before it starts to set out of view!!! Head-tails-and-all!!!!



So tomorrow, Friday, the sun sets at 8:38pm. I'll be standing outside home looking for it, unless I can get myself to a vantage location for a better view. For those who are wishing to still see the McNaught wonder, apparently the best time to see it is just before sunset, in the southwestern sky. But others say the best viewing time is about 20 minutes after sunset.

I'd love to see it for many nights.... I hope it's still visible tomorrow night.... I'd cherish tomorrow night if it were the only night I can enjoy its beauty.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home