Herstory: Colours Of Life

Memories or thoughts shared....

It's common for people to describe me nicely as, "not like anyone else I know".... I have come to happily agree to being a 'freak', hard to describe, or just different.... Imperfection, I see it as something beautiful and honest.... I love what I have become, and have faith in how I will be....

You choose the colours of your life.... Dream. Explore. Discover.

Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Beef and Mixed Mushroom Stir-Fry

I DID IT!!!

Since I took up the challenge, I researched and created a list of basic ingredients, condiments and sauces I needed to buy. I walked up and down Queen Vic Market several times during one lunch break. I looked for veggies (short for vegetables) I knew how to eat but had no idea how it looked uncooked. Nor what it was called!! Pretty embarrassing and flustering actually!!…. Sellers were either not sure if I was pulling their leg, or just plain rude. I’d say, “Is this spinach/bok choy?” They say, “Wha? You dunno? Ayaah!” or “80cents, pay pay, no talk, this buy, no talk”. I was soooh glad when I was back to buying common tomatoes, mushrooms, capsicums, potatoes, etc from friendly sellers whom I always bought veggies and fruits from.

Then Harold took me to an Asian store after work to buy my sauces and other veggies I gave up looking for so he can show me. He wasn’t much better than the sellers at making me feel stupid, but hey, at least I know now. J He did not help me find the things I needed “so I would learn”, so I took forever finding all the sauces, spices and noodles, which Harold grumbled about. No bloody sympathy!! I almost gave up trying then! But I just considered him as showing signs of being a grumpy old man, never happy, hard to please J.

Then I had to wait for the right time to cook. Harold cooked Thursday and Friday last week and left for Sydney on the weekend so… nada cooking. I was worried my veggies would go to waste. Currently I don’t like cooking for one.

Sunday night Harold was back, some friends came over, and for the first time in ages, I… (drums rolling….) cooked!!

I initially planned to keep it VERY intimate – just the two of us – in case I stuff it up. But if became a “catch-up night”, and was happy to see friends I haven’t seen for a while.

I prepared the ingredients earlier, cutting the veggies alone and very carefully. Given that I chose to cook stir-fried noodles (hawker style), I had to wait until they were ready to eat. I also had to cook in front of them! Within the first minute I stabbed my thumb while opening the lid of the peanut oil bottle. It hurt and it bled!! I pushed on… L. Then hot oil sprayed on my eye, eyelids and arms!! I screamed and my friends almost kicked me out of the kitchen. I think they thought dinner was never going to eventuate. But I persevered.

I finished it, recipe on hand. Dinner was served. I was given a rating of 8 out of 10 by the Iron Chef (Harold) and Rob – not enough Oyster Sauce but still tasty. It was hard to change the amount of ingredients to feed an odd number of people – 5 in total. But Travis loved it! Loved it!! I love Travis ‘cause he always loves my cooking! J Glenda was quiet, struggling to finish the meal. She said she liked it.

Not bad for a first time.



Here’s the recipe if you want to try it. If I can do it, so can you J!

Beef and Mixed Mushroom Stir-Fry
Serving size: Serves 4
Cooking time: Less than 30 minutes

INGREDIENTS
600g fresh hokkien noodles
¼ cup (60ml) garlic oil
100g button mushrooms, halved
200g flat mushrooms, sliced thickly
100g Swiss brown mushrooms
2 sticks (150g) trimmed celery sticks
2 small fresh red chillies, sliced
750g beef strips
½ cup (125ml) oyster sauce

METHOD
1. Rinse and separate the noodles in hot water; drain.
2. Heat half of the oil in a wok; stir-fry the mushrooms until browned. Add the celery and chilli, stir-fry until the celery is softened; remove from the wok.
3. Heat the remaining oil in a wok or large pan; stir-fry the beef, in batches, until browned. Return the beef to the wok with the noodles and sauce; stir-fry until heated through. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

Not suitable to freeze.
Not suitable to microwave.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home