Herstory: Colours Of Life

Memories or thoughts shared....

It's common for people to describe me nicely as, "not like anyone else I know".... I have come to happily agree to being a 'freak', hard to describe, or just different.... Imperfection, I see it as something beautiful and honest.... I love what I have become, and have faith in how I will be....

You choose the colours of your life.... Dream. Explore. Discover.

Thursday, December 27, 2007

Akwaaba

Here I am, here I am!! Finally here at last! The start of my dream to travel within Africa.

I organized this trip to Ghana before leaving home - to meet up (in London) with my friend from Australia and together we head to Kumasi for Christmas and New Year. I ended up going to USA for Thanksgiving etc, cutting short the trip by approximately 1 month. Then I spent Christmas in London (24-27Dec). Now I’m about to celebrate New Year’s in Kumasi.

  • Arrived at night, in 28’Celsius weather, in Accra
  • I likened the place to Asia – hot weather, polluted, dusty, rich and poor are mixed, friendly welcome, road rules are not followed, people ask for things, cost of living is expensive (comparable to overseas) especially for the locals. Differences are the roads are less developed here but the traffic seems less chaotic, not as many motorbikes and bicycles on the road.
  • Sellers balancing their wares on their heads
  • No skyscrapers (I was told the tallest building in Ghana overall may only be 30 floors)
  • People dancing carefree in a street where we drove by
  • Feeling happy after being told someone will take me to the local markets tomorrow morning (didn’t work out)
  • Home-cooked dinner, yum!
  • Drinking water!!
  • Worrying a little about not having malaria tablets, expecting it to be waiting for me when I arrive (flashbacks of my hospitalization in Asia, something I do not want to experience here), especially as I could feel mosquitoes biting me, a bite on my cheek is already swelling, and I’m going to be walking around the market tomorrow morning
  • Feeling better after confirmation I only have to worry about mossie bites at night (so hopefully there wont be any in the market), although tonight is still a concern (heheheh) and I really did not want to push my luck
  • I need malaria tablets, insect repellent, mossie air spray, simcard, and local currency!
  • Getting in touch with my friend from Australia to let her know I arrived safely and will be with her soon (after working out which bus I will catch, so she knows where to pick me up)
  • Showering without hot water, and enjoying it after getting over the initial cold shock
    I couldn’t see the stars, but I tried to sleep just before midnight listening to crickets and dogs barking/howling
  • Trying to get used to the feeling that something is biting me (I saw very little mosquitoes fly across my computer screen, it was likely to be them)
  • Sleeping feeling the soft blow of the wind, natural air keeping me cool
  • Waking up 4am to cocks crowing, night chirps, barks, and general activities outside the house at this time of the day
  • Now turning off my computer (5.30ish), so I can try to go back to sleep, and peacefully enjoy the moment, waking up 7am.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home